The Regional Government of Madeira has sent an offer of help to Morocco after a 7.0 magnitude earthquake rocked the region in the early hours of Friday morning, and which has so far caused the deaths of 820 people.
Responding to the situation, Madeira’s President, Miguel Albuquerque said:
“We have offered our help, in case support is needed from the Regional Civil Protection. We will send a team if necessary.”
“The Regional Government, through the Regional Civil Protection Service, is available to cooperate and assist the rescue teams that already on the ground and help maximise life saving efforts through the provision of necessary equipment and materials as well as human resources, among them, operational personnel from the regions Fire Brigades, who are highly trained in various emergency situations inclulding collapsed structure search and rescue and pre-hospital emergencies as well as providing specialised EMIR doctors and nurses.”
Concluding, he said that contacts have already been established between the corresponding entities, and the region’s emergency team was ready to participate, and that do date he has been unable to ascertain if any Madeirans have been affected by the earthquake.
Offering his condolences, the President finally stated:
“It is with deep regret that we express our heartfelt condolences to the victims of the earthquake that shook Morocco in the early hours of Friday morning.”
info at madeira-weekly.com