Early this evening, the Portuguese Institute of Sea and Atmosphere announced that between midnight tonight and 9 am Tuesday, the 20th of October, Madeira will be under an orange warning for rain, which may be accompanied by thunderstorms.
In addition to the rain, winds could reach gusts of up to 100km /h on the south coast and up to 130 km/h in mountainous areas. Both Madeira and Porto Santo are currently under a yellow weather warning.
The Regional Civil Protection Service has issued several public recommendations:
- Be aware of the warnings and recommendations of the competent authorities. Keep yourself informed of the evolution of the situation.
- In case of flooding inside your home due to excessive rain, contact the local Fire Department and / or the Municipal Civil Protection Service in your municipality.
- When driving in these conditions, reduce your speed, and drive with caution at all times. Pay attention to puddles and do not drive or park in areas prone to flooding.
- Pay attention to road conditions as drainage covers can move, and the roads may be littered with debris.
- Please note that some roads may be closed due to flooding.
info at madeira-weekly.com