A fire broke out early this afternoon at a restaurant in Travessa João Caetano in the Old Town, Funchal. Firefighters were called out as huge plumes of smoke erupted from the buildings chimney. Ten firefighters using three vehicles attended the scene and the fire was promptly extinguished.
In other news, JM’s front page headline today (18/06), stated that 80 restaurants in the Old Town have remained closed due to a lack of tourists, and those that have remained open, fear for their future and the island’s economy.
info at madeira-weekly.com