Press "Enter" to skip to content

New Caracol Wine Launched in Porto Santo

The Madeira Wine, Embroidery and Handicraft Institute, IP-RAM, (IVBAM) in partnership with the Regional Directorate for Public Administration of Porto Santo (DRAPS)officially launched the new special edition Caracol Wine – celebrating the 600 years of the discovery of Madeira and Porto Santo on Tuesday the 10th of September.

Caracol Wine is a PDO “Madeirense” white wine from the Caracol grape variety, traditionally planted on Porto Santo Island, among its dry stone walls.

According to IVBAM, this special edition aims to reveal the importance and potentiality of this grape variety and promote the knowledge, history, tradition and cultural heritage of Porto Santo. The wine itself was vinified in the cellar of São Vicente, under the oenology of its resident oenologist, João Pedro Machado, and has a delicate aroma of citrus notes and a tropical character.

85% of the cost of launching this new wine was co-financed by EU funds provided by the Madeira 14-20 Program.  The remaining 15% came from the regional budget.

Samantha Gannon

info at madeira-weekly.com

Hits: 12

Comments are closed.